Wednesday 20 November 2013

Green Inspiration #1


I have recently become incredibly excited about vegetables. I'm not sure how it happened, but I have become the eccentric woman in WholeFoods screaming "YES!!! ORGANIC KALE!!!" or giving the organic market stall-minder a panic attack when she sees my crazy eyes heading for her and her oversized organic beetroot and leafy greens. In an effort to share my excitement, I present new category of post .... "green inspirations" .... which will mostly be exciting vegetables (not a oxymoron, I assure you), the occasional recipe, and anything "green" that has inspired me recently.

Green Inspiration #1

  


Avacados are one of my favourite foods - I eat them as often as possible. They are so rich and creamy that they feel indulgent, but from what I've read, are actually quite healthy. When I'm detoxing, they are usually my 4pm afternoon treat and they often get me through the afternoon slump without resorting to sugar, chocolate or carbs. 

The other day after making a batch of vegan pesto, I wondered what I could put it on besides crackers, bread or pasta. I spotted a perfectly ripe avacado beckoning from the fruitbowl. Voila, spinach basil pesto à l'avacado bowl. The pesto recipe comes from the book "refresh" by Ruth Tal with Jennifer Houston, based on recipes from the restaurant "Fresh" in Toronto. It's incredibly creamy and rich for a pesto without cheese. I added some lemon juice, because ... well, I add lemon juice to everything I cook.

Enjoy!


Spinach Basil Pesto

2 cloves garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed
2 cups packed fresh spinach
lemon juice, to taste (optional)

Blend all ingredients except spinach and basil in a food processor until smooth. Mix in basil and spinach, scraping sides if needed. Store in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer (if it can get past your mouth!).


Avacado Pesto Bowl

This couldn't be easier....

1 ripe avocado
few spoonfuls of spinach basil pesto

Cut in half one ripe avocado. Remove stone. Spoon pesto into avocado pit until full. Eat with a teaspoon and a modicum of will power.




No comments:

Post a Comment