Monday 17 March 2014

Green Inspiration #5

I am a little bit obsessed with dips. I used to buy hummous at least once a week on my way home, when one day, my husband pointed out that even the reduced fat hummous probably wasn't all that good for us. I have not (since then) given up my hummous addiction, but I have started making it myself so that I can control the ingredients and make it taste the way I want. Hummous is a great snack (full of fibre), and I find it indulgent, filling and tasty too. It's really easy and only takes a few minutes. You don't even have to chop anything! My basic hummous recipe is below ....



Easy Hummous

Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas (in water), drained
1.5 tbsp of tahini
2 cloves garlic (peeled)
pinch sea salt (to taste)
pinch crushed chillies (to taste)
juice of 2-3 lemons (to taste)
olive oil

Put all ingredients (except olive oil) in a food processor and blend until smooth(ish), scraping down the sides once or twice. Turn on the food processor again and drizzle a little bit of olive oil into the mix while running (this seems to make it a bit creamier). Taste and adjust seasoning. Blend for a few minutes until desired consistency is reached. Note: this will not be as creamy as store-bought hummous ... to reach a creamier consistency, add more oil, however this kind of defeats the purpose of making it yourself :(

Serve with chopped veggies and try not to eat it all in one go!

1 comment: